February 10, 2009

Graditude

Brad and I were driving home from Salt Lake last night and he works for ChevronTexaco, it is a union job. Brad has chosen not to be part of the union, he doesn't necessarily agree with the whole union thing so he is not a member. The contract with the company was under negotiations this year and it has been stressful because they have been threatening to strike to get more money and Brad not being a part of the union would have had to cross the picket lines, which was stressful for him. (He is only 1 of about 5 that are not members). Anyway, the union settled with the company and there will not be a strike. Thank goodness.
I had just been with a friend whose brother was laid off and we were just discussing the economy, and how many people we know and love that are suffering. Well about 9 years ago, we went through our own "mini depression". Brad had his own brick business and it was very good for 8 years then he tried to expand, and then there was a bump in the economy, nothing like it is now, but still Brad went without a paycheck for about 8-10 months. Luckily, we had money put away and we had parents that were in a position to help us. Which you hate but are very grateful for. At the time, it was devastating, it still chokes me up to think about the desperation I felt. I would have gotten a job but Stockton was in Kindergarten, Grace was 1 and Sara was JUST born. I remember my mom saying "you can get through this", and I saying, "give me a date, I can endure but I want a date." Well we did get through it. Brad finished his degree, (he was on the 15 year plan, but he finished.) He went and laid brick for someone else for a while and worked for Syracuse City for a while, then my sweet dad in his wisdom and kindness said one day, "Chevron is hiring, it's kind of crappy hours but it is a great company". He had worked for the company for 30 + years. So Brad applied and got the job. YES, he does work 2 weekends per month, YES, he does work 7 nights per month, YES he does work holidays, but YES he does have a GREAT job. Had that NOT happened to us 9 years ago.....he probably wouldn't have gotten another job and being in construction right now, we would have lost everything. At the time, it was a big trail but now I see that was a HUGE blessing. It breaks my heart to know people are going through hard times and I don't know when it will be over, I wish I knew a "date", I have been through it personally and hopefully I can help others as I was helped through that period. BRAD you are my rock and my hero. I love you with all of my HEART.

2 comments:

  1. I think that Satan is definitely working on ALL of us right now....everyone in different ways. My family has been struggling with health issues and my best friend is going through financial trials. These are the last days and I believe that if there must be opposition in all things, then with the bad there MUST be more good. But, I'm like you and want a DATE! I guess we don't know when, we don't know how, but we DO KNOW that good will win! I love your blog. I've always loved your complete honesty. Don't ever change. miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAY AWESOME POST KIM!!! I loved it!! I am with you on the date thing!! I think Trev and I can make it through this, but an exact date would be very helpful!! 6 months, 1 year, 3 years??? How long is this bump gonna be? Love ya girl!! (Is Chevron hiring?? Trev and I might both be looking for new jobs!!LOL!!!)

    ReplyDelete