June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Brad didn't put in any special requests for Father's Day. He never does...Brad is truly the GREATEST father in the World. Ok my dad is very close. When I looked back on my childhood and think about how much my dad did for me and the circumstances that we had...it really is amazing. My parents divorced when I was 6 years old, 1977, but my dad traveled a lot with his job so I do not recall him ever living with us. But my dad was a very good dad after that. I remember going to stay weekends with him, when he lived in Ogden, then in Bountiful. He remarried Alaina the last day of my 5th grade, 1980. I remember thinking he would now forget us and be more concerned about her children but that was not the case. We went and stayed every other weekend with him, then when Kelly could drive we would just spend each Sunday with him. Then in 1984? 85? my dad moved to Boise. I remember going and spending some time each summer, but as I got older and in high school, I was busy with drill team and friends. But we knew every Sunday at 1 PM, my dad was calling. We set a time and he was NEVER late or never missed the phone call. He checked in with Kelly and I and talked about what our week was like and what was upcoming. Then I remember when I danced at school, he would arrange his travel schedule and come to many of my performances and Kelly's games. He really was involved and rarely missed events we participated in. He was far from being a dead beat dad. When Brad came into my live, he was shocked at how involved my dad was, I remember one time he said to me, "I never knew how to be a dad until I met your dad and I want to be like that." We weren't married at that time but he is like that... Brad has a great father too. He always helped Brad with homework, took him golfing and was home with him but he is came from the generation that he didn't have a relationship with him until he was older. Even now Brad calls his dad and tries to get him involved in our lives and it is a hard thing for Jack. But we know if we ever needed anything Jack would move mountain to help us. Brad is the perfect balance between my dad and his dad and Mr. Chandler (who was a father figure to Brad). BRAD is here, he is involved, he helps with homework, he shows his children that hard work is important both at a job and helping around the house, he drives car pools, he also adds the spiritual side which he got from Kay Chandler, he gives his children blessings, he sit down with them and teaches the gospel, our children love the gospel because their dad loves the gospel. He sits us down nightly for scripture study and family prayer, it is important to him. He really doesn't have anything about him that I would change. I love you Brad, you really are the BEST father EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment