November 16, 2009

There are Angels Among Us...

My grandma has been sick for the past 6 weeks, she went into the hospital and we thought we would lose her then she got better and went to a nursing home for some rehab and she had a bad week, then once again got better and actually last Tues and Wed we were making arrangements for her to go to my dad's for a time then, she would find an assisted living home. She was excited to get out and was feeling good. Then last Friday she had a stroke and a grand mal-seizure. So needless to say it has been a real roller-coaster ride. But since Friday we have known it was just a matter of time. Grace and I went to visit on Saturday evening and she was talking, but just saying, "I'm fine" "I'm ok", she really had no idea who we were though and it was quite unsettling.
Today I got a call from my dad and he said she wasn't doing well at all. I quickly got ready and I decided to down there, but before I went I wanted to get a Coke from Warren's. There was a van in front of me and it was taking quite a while for him to get his food, at one point I said out loud, "Come on!" not towards the man but just it was taking too long and all I wanted was a drink. So the man got his food and left, when I pulled up, I said, "Here's my 87 cents." And the girl said, "The man just paid for it for you? Didn't you know him?" And I just started to cry, because he knew I was agitated and he didn't know that I was going to see my grandma for the last time. I am so grateful for kind people who do nice things for total strangers. I believe that Heavenly Father knew what I needed and through that stranger I knew I was loved and being looked out for...I do not know who he was but 'Thank You' and I pray I can help someone at a critical time in their life by listening to the spirit. Everyone will step up and do kind things when they know you need it but when you do it for a stranger, it can make their day.
I went and spent most of the afternoon with my grandma, she was comatose, she had several small seizures, she was agitated and I went home and cried the entire way. She hadn't had anything to drink since Saturday and you can live for 3 days without water, so we knew it would be soon, but it happened that evening at 6:15. My mom was with her. My grandma knew I loved her, she knew my kids loved her and she loved to be with us and do things with us. We all have fond memories of her. We love her and are going to miss her more than words can express. She was the only grandparent I have ever known, I was her only granddaughter and we were very close. I am grateful for the time we spent together. I am so grateful for the stranger who was kind and bought my Coke, he made my day.

2 comments:

  1. Having recently gone through this myself, my heart goes out to you and your family!! Thanks for sharing such sweet emotions. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim~
    I'm sorry. It is so hard to lose loved ones. I loved hearing about your "angel" for the day. It is so true~ they are among us.

    ReplyDelete